Monday, February 2, 2009

I Think of You

The collection of short stories entitled I Think of You by the Egyptian-born and Booker-shortlisted writer Ahdaf Soueif is simply one of the best pieces of literature I have read in a while. Soueif’s prose flows beautifully and smoothly just like a poem while maintaining a direct conversation-like connection with the reader. Using that magical combination, the author weaves together a collection of short stories that centers around a number of women struggling with a variety of issues including culture clash, displacement, marriage, families, career, and other themes that are very relevant to our world today. The events in the story mostly take place either under the clear sun of Egypt of under the rainy clouds of England; thus, creating a perfect bipolar medium for contradictions and disorientation.
Even though I truly enjoyed this book and can’t wait to get hold of other stories by Soueif, I have to admit that oftentimes the book was confusing. The first two stories led me to think that the whole book was a number of short stories narrating different periods in the life of a main character named Aisha. However, somewhere in the third story – if I’m not mistaken, I discover that the character’s name suddenly becomes Asia while still retaining striking similarities to the first character. It eventually turns out that there are a number of female characters in the book all leading very similar yet very different lives. Now that I’m mentioning it, I can’t help but think that the book also strikes some resemblance to the author’s life. So a major part of it could be biographical as well.
Anyways, as long as you keep in mind that there is a number of main characters in the book, not just one, the stories will be much more enjoyable and less confusing. So don’t let that dissuade you from enjoying Soueif’s brilliant stories.